Things to Consider When Specifying an ACM Panel
Once a building is clad with ACM panels, it’s pretty difficult to know which panel manufacturer was specified and installed. Let’s face it, for all intent and purposes most ACM panels look and perform the same… or do they?
Here are a few things you should consider when specifying ACM panels on your next project:
- What support does the ACM panel manufacturer provide?
- Do they offer manufacturer designed and supported installation systems, or do they only provide the flat panels?
- Are the details provided by the panel manufacturer “concept only” or construction document ready?
- How easily are you able to obtain submittals from the manufacturer that show the installation system versus only being able to see the color specified?
- Is the manufacturer able to provide the take-offs and technical support that better equip the installers in the estimating and installation of the ACM panels?
- While most ACM panel manufacturers have passed testing such as fire, hurricane and ICC-ESR, to what extent have they passed? Review the testing documentation to verify the following:
- Did the manufacturer’s standard ACM panel pass the rigorous testing? Or was a special, more costly version of the panel designed and required to pass?
- Was the wall assembly installation significantly altered to pass the test?
- Are the published wind load limits sufficient for your project?
- With ACM panels being one of the last materials installed on a project, will the panels be delivered and installed on time?
- What is the manufacturer’s lead time and minimum on standard colors versus custom colors?
- Can the panels be field fabricated by the installer to allow for adjustments at the jobsite if needed, or do they have to be re-made off-site by the fabricator?
Laminators Incorporated has been manufacturing ACM panels for over 50 years. In addition to the four different installation systems we offer, we also provide additional services such as take-offs, technical and engineering support, and field training to ensure the finished project looks and performs exactly the way you intended it to!